Visa and immigration to Portugal
Feod Group is a diversified company specializing in various legal and business activities for international clients worldwide.
Together with Portuguese lawyers, Feod Group works professionally for obtaining residence permit programs in Portugal.
Portugal is one of the most popular European countries for immigration, and the government strongly promotes this issue.
The legislation of the country is aimed at the development of immigration programs in order to attract foreign investors, entrepreneurs, IT specialists, programmers, specialists of free (creative) professions.
Portugal Immigration Programs:
- D 7 / Residence Visa
- The program Golden Visa.
The benefits of living in Portugal
- Portugal is the 4th among the 128 most peaceful countries according to the Global Peace Index 2019 research data. It is a safe country with one of the lowest crime rates in Europe.
- The country has an excellent geographical position, located between three continents – Europe, Africa and America – it has always been central to major international routes. In Portugal, international airports throughout the country – Lisbon, Faro and Porto, as well as regular flights to major cities in the world.
- The high level of medical care. The network of hospitals consists of modern and well-equipped units located throughout the country. The health system in Portugal ranked 12th in the World Health Organization rankings according to the World Health Report.
- Quality education. Education in Portugal, regardless of whether it is public or private, is characterized by its availability and high quality.
- Transparent and affordable tax legislation.
- The climate is mild, warmer in winter than in other southern European countries.
- Prices for products, utilities and transportation are lower than in most European countries. The average cost of a family of 3 people is 2,140.23 € including: apartment rent, utilities, food, travel, school fees for the child, gym, going to the cinema, buying clothes.
- The Portuguese coast is one of the best surfing spots in the world. Portugal has almost 800 kilometers of coastline.
Friendly locals, much of the population speaks English.
Program D7 in Portugal for IT-specialists, programmers and other professionals of free professions, as well as for entrepreneurs with passive income
This type of visa is intended for self-employed applicants who wish to reside in Portugal for more than 90 days a year.
The process of obtaining a residence permit in Portugal consists of two stages. The first stage is obtaining a long-term visa D to Portugal, the second is directly obtaining a residence permit in the migration authority in Portugal.
In the process of applying for a long-term visa D, the applicant must describe the purpose of his application, as well as provide evidence and proof of the availability of funds sufficient to reside in Portugal.
At the same time, according to the requirements of the law, it is sufficient to confirm the availability of funds at the level of 580 € per month for each adult applicant and 30% of the above amount for children under 18 years of age. That is, for a family of two adults and a child the minimum amount of income should be 1334 € per month.
Financial Independent Foreigners in Portugal Terms and Benefits:
- The first time a residence permit is issued for 1 year, after one year it can be extended for 2 years and then for another 2 years. After 5 years of residence in the country, you can obtain a permanent residence permit. A year later, you can receive citizenship of Portugal.
- Unlike all European countries, which in their legislation have programs for financially independent foreigners and which are required to have sufficient savings and personal passive income, Portugal provides an opportunity to obtain a residence permit both with passive income and active, which goes outside Portugal
- There are no real estate purchase or investment requirements for this program. Enough to confirm rental housing.
- For new residents, Portugal provides tax exemption for 10 years. In accordance with the terms of the NHR (Non-Habitual Resident) program, most types of income that come from a foreign source or that are taxed in another country are exempt from Portuguese taxes for ten years. This is possible if you were in Portugal more than 183 days a year.
Permanent residence in Portugal for investors (Golden Visa)
In 2012, Residence permits for pursuing investment activities (ARI) started to work for foreigners to obtain residence permits for investment activities in Portugal. In the case of Portugal, the popular term “Golden Visa” is used at the government level.
Portugal’s Golden Visa program is designed for citizens of countries outside the EU who wish to purchase a residence permit in Portugal. A foreigner can obtain a residence permit by investing in real estate, the economy of the country or creating jobs for local residents.
Minimum requirements for a residence permit in Portugal
An important advantage is the minimum requirements for staying in the country:
7 days in the first year;
14 days in every two subsequent years,
which makes the program an excellent option for the “alternative solution” for the investor and his family.
Any investment must be made for at least 5 years.
Investment options for obtaining a Golden visa in Portugal:
1. Buying a property for a residence permit in Portugal
A foreigner receives a residence permit in Portugal when buying a property (or objects) of real estate for a total amount of not less than 500,000 euros. This is a general rule, from which, however, there are exceptions.
The mandatory purchase amount can be reduced to 350,000 euros when purchasing a property older than 30 years or in regions with low population density.
Restrictions on the use of real estate is not, it can be used for family living and used for commercial purposes, leased.
It is possible to buy property by several co-owners (subject to the minimum amount of investment of each of them), as well as the purchase on behalf of the company owned by a foreigner.
2. Investing in the economy of Portugal
Economic investments can also be realized in several ways:
- 1 million euros – to the Bank of Portugal, government securities, shares and / or bonds of local companies;
- 500 000 euros – to the fund for supporting small and medium businesses;
- 350,000 euros for research;
- 250 000 euros – in the field of art or culture.
3. Opening of an enterprise in Portugal, which creates at least 10 jobs for citizens of EU countries.
In this case, there are no restrictions on the scope of the enterprise, or the minimum amount of investment.
Investor Opportunities in Portugal
- A residence permit gives the investor the right to move to Portugal together with family members, to work, to open a business, to travel to the Schengen countries without visas.
- The program remains 100% anonymous.
- Taking into account the minimum periods of stay, the tax residency of Portugal is completely optional (tax residency is acquired if you live in the country for more than 183 days).
- Primary residence permit for investment is issued to the applicant and family members for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal twice for 2 years. Five years later, a foreigner and members of his family are entitled to apply for permanent residence.
- After 6 years, subject to residing in the country and passing the language exam, the investor can apply for Portuguese citizenship.
- For many investors, the possibility of residing not only in Portugal but also in any other EU country is essential.
Considering the above, the program Golden Visa of Portugal allows not only to settle in a European country, which is among the top ten in quality of life, but also to increase its capital, while receiving the maximum mobility in Europe.
Assistance in obtaining permanent residence in Portugal for investors (Golden Visa)
Of course, like any immigration procedure, applying for a residence permit for Portugal on the basis of investments has its own nuances and pitfalls. Therefore, we advise you in advance to seek the support of experienced professionals.
Accredited attorneys of Feod Group will fully accompany your application for a long-term visa, as well as, if necessary, represent the clients’ interests at the embassy.
Our specialists provide legal and business support for acquisitions if you intend to buy real estate in Portugal, rent a property, register a company and keep accounts, recruit staff, education for your children, and other additional services.
Full range of legal services in Portugal
Feod Group provides a full range of services for the program of immigration to Portugal, namely:
- preparation of a full package of visa documents for the first visa D;
- filing a residence permit in Portugal;
- legal due diligence of property for purchase;
- registration of real estate purchase transactions;
- obtaining a tax code;
- Representing the interests of the client when opening an account in a Portuguese bank;
- preparing a business plan for buying a business;
- preparation of documents confirming the origin of the money for the investment.
Feod Group also provides its clients with related services to relocation and orientation in the country: family relocation services to Portugal, enrollment of children in schools.
For more information about the program for obtaining a residence permit and citizenship of Portugal – arrange a meeting with the directors of Feod Group.