Visa and immigration to Greece
Feod Group with professional Greek advisers — advocates, accountants and real estate brokers provide our clients with full spectrum of visa & immigration services, corporate services for businesses registration and legal support, real estate investment, and other ancillary services.
Feod Group offers initial consultations with immigration advisors who will:
- Identify any and all Immigration Benefits/Visas for which clients may be eligible;
- Identify alternative visas or methods to travel to the countries of choice;
- Provide an accurate description of the visa process which includes the time frame required to receive the visa;
- Inform clients of the applicable fees to be charged by the Government entities for different benefits/visas;
- Provide a list of quality services with reasonable fees.
We at Feod Group know how critical it is for each application to be meticulously prepared, all deadlines met, all references, data verified and everything documented in accordance with all current laws.
Entry, inhabitancy and obtaining a residence permit by foreign nationals in Greece are regulated by the law №3386 from August 2005. According to Greek law a residence permit for non-EU nationals (third countries) can be given only if they already received a special visa at Greek Consulate in their country of residence (national long term visa, type D).
There are several types of residence permits in Greece:
1. Residence permits for practicing independent economic activity (2 types: independent economic activity and development of investment activity).
Non-EU nationals shall be allowed to enter the country in order to practice independent economic activity, provided that they have sufficient funds to practice the activity, amounting to at least 60 000€, which shall be deposited in an account in the name of the applicants with a recognized bank. After the issuance of the special visa, this sum shall be deposited in a corresponding domestic institution.
The resident permit is given for 2 years. If the foreigner continues to practice independent economic activity, pays taxes the resident permit is prolonged every 2 years.
Residence permit for development of investment activity is given for foreigners in order to make an investment of at least 300 000€, which shall have positive effects on the national economy.
Together with the applicant the same residence permit is given to the members of his family – wife and minors. The application for the issuance of the residence permit shall be submitted to the Greek consular authority of the third-country national’s place of residence.
The residence permit may be renewed for three years if the foreigner continues his activity and pays all the taxes.
2. Residence permit for special reasons (studies, vocational training, scholars-special programs, studies at military academies, acquisition of medical specialty, financially independent persons, adult children of diplomatic officers, diplomatic delegations’ service staff, foreign press correspondents, ministers of known religions, athonias academy, study of, acquaintance with and practice of monastic life, organized tourist group leaders, researchers).
By decision of the General Secretariat of a Region, a residence permit shall be issued for one year to third-country nationals who have obtained a visa and have sufficient resources, at the level of stable annual income, to cover living expenses, which may be renewed every year provided that the other legal requirements are met. The level of sufficient funds shall be determined by joint ministerial decision but not less than 2000€ per month.
The above third-country nationals may be accompanied by their family members under to whom an individual residence permit shall be issued, which shall expire together with the resident permit of the persons who support them. The requirement of sufficient funds must be met either by each family member or by all family members.
Residence permit for financially independent persons doesn’t allow work. Holders of this residence permit have the right to live and all other rights of Greek citizens except electing rights.
The buyers of property in Greece usually receive a permit as financially independent persons.
3. Residence permits for employment (dependent employment or provision of services or work, seasonal employment, corporate executives etc.)
A facilitated admission procedure may apply to non-EU citizens who are hired as directors, administrators, legal representatives and managing executives from subsidiaries and branches of foreign companies that are actively trading in Greece.
Specific provisions also regulate:
- technicians in factories and/or mining corporations;
- highly specialised personnel in tenders and/or rendering services in Greece;
- personnel in the financial/investment sector;
- writers, authors and artists;
- athletes and trainers;
- members of non-Greek archaeological societies/missions;
- acquisition of medical specialty;
- foreign press correspondents; and
4. Residence permit for family reunification. This permit is applicable for Greek citizens and for those who have resided legally in Greece for the last two years. The family members include:
- Your spouse who is over 18 years old;
- Your unmarried, minor children and those of your spouse, including adopted children, and provided you (or your spouse) have the necessary legal custody.
5. Residence permit for exceptional reasons (humanitarian reasons, public interest, trafficking victims).
In all visa cases, after national D visa is issued and upon arrival to Greece, a foreigner must apply to the municipality of the place of residence for a residence permit for the same purpose.
Adult third-country nationals who have resided legally and continuously within Greece for five years may be granted a long-term resident status and a citizenship after 10 years.